Campaign of the Month: November 2012
THE EMERALD CITY
OSAMU NISHIMURA (西村修)
EASTERN TEMPLE RENEGADE
HIGH CONCEPT: EASTERN TEMPLE MONK RENEGADE
Invoke: Anything related to his Eastern Temple background, his current dishonored status, or general monk behaviors and knowledge.
Compel: Anything related to his Eastern Temple background, his current dishonored status, or general monk behaviors and knowledge.
TROUBLE: BLOOD IN THE WATER
Compel: Osamu has made a fair few enemies, and it’s public knowledge he’s lost his Tambo and the Authority that goes with it.
Invoke: Born to mortals in Japan, his powerful potential was immediately noticed in his aura by the local supernatural community. He was scouted by the Easter Temple and trained, but, despite that training, he still never got good at disguising his power. Mortals just notice that there’s something oddly impressive or intimidating about him, and members of the supernatural community know he is a person of supernatural power on sight without any need for divination or physical contact.
Compel: While he may be good at hiding, he’s terrible at being low-profile. Any time it would be bad for him to stick out, he will be doing so.
A PATH GROWN SHADOWED
Invoke: Osamu has had his authority and position within the Eastern Temple revoked. For the time being his life has taken a turn into ethical murk and literal darkness. Where he was once a warrior, he finds himself increasingly (and successfully) fulfilling the role of shinobi.
Compel: His recent descent into shady dealings has brought his previously upstanding image into question, to others and himself. He might find himself more torn by ethical conflict, and might find himself under increasing suspicion from all directions.
Invoke: He’s a peaceful man who doesn’t believe in gratuitous violence. He also kicks ass. He’s also physically well-balanced.
Compel: pursuing the nonviolent solution – the mere presence of evil shouldn’t be enough to spur him to action because it’s “part of the balance.” He’s felt compelled more and more to go against this fundamental wisdom lately, but it still has a deep, resonant appeal to his sensibilities.
THE TEMPLE’S BETAMAX
Compel: Most of what Osamu knows of western culture he learned on the monastery’s betamax as a course in foreign culture. As such, his knowledge is fraught with inaccuracies.
HIDDEN DRAGONS’ FIST
Invoke: You don’t become a combat-ready member of an ancient secret order by being a pushover! Dude can kick some butt. This aspect also folds in his allegiance and membership with the Hidden Dragon organization.
Compel: The Hidden Dragons have an agenda, some secret handshakes, and ways of passing tips and orders. Some of those tips and orders will get Osamu into hot water.
FANTASTIC +6: Fists
SUPERB +5: Endurance, Stealth
GREAT +4: Alertness, Athletics
GOOD +3: Conviction, Might, Presence
FAIR +2: Investigation, Lore, Discipline, Burglary
AVERAGE +1: Scholarship, Intimidate, Contacts, Rapport
Languages Spoken: Japanese, English
May use Fists to make combat declarations related to an opponent’s style. May use Fists to identify styles and their histories.
HUMAN GUISE [-0]
SUPERHUMAN TOUGHNESS [-4]
- Harder to Hurt: Armor 2 against all physical stress
- Harder to Kill: Four more boxes of physical stress
- Guns (Reasonably Common, Easy to determine)
- Kung Fu Check 1/scene (“My Kung Fu is Stronger Than Your Kung Fu”)
SUPERHUMAN SPEED [-4]
- Supreme Initiative: Always wins initiative unless competing against other Superhuman or Mythic Speedsters.
- Superior Athletic Ability: Athletics checks are made at +2 (including dodging). +4 when sprinting.
- Casual Movement: Can move one zone as a supplemental action without incurring a -1 penalty.
- Faster Than the Eye: Difficulty factors due to moving are reduced by four when rolling stealth.
CLOAK OF SHADOWS [-1]
- See In The Dark: No penalty to perception in the dark.
- Melt Into Shadows: +2 to Stealth in areas of darkness.
SUPERHUMAN ACROBATICS [-1]
- Inhuman Balance: You may move freely and without penalty over any surface sturdier than a spiderweb. You never fall accidentally, and you may add four to your Athletics skill when using it to resist an attempt to knock you down.
- Impossible Jumps: Add four to your Athletics skill when using it to jump.
- Soft Landing: You are immune to falling damage.
INHUMAN STRENGTH [-2]
- Improved Lifting: +3 to Might when lifting or breaking inanimate objects.
- Bruising Strength: +1 to Might when grappling. Can do a 2-stress hit as a supplemental action while grappling
- Superior Strength: +1 to Might when it modifies another skill
- Hammer Blows: +2 Stress to any attack relying on muscular force
SUPERNATURAL MARTIAL ARTS [-1]
- “You can improve your performance in combat by channeling magical energy.”
- Special Techniques: You know three techniques from the following list. You may enhance your physical attacks and defenses with them by taking a mental stress hit with a value equal to the combined cost of the techniques that you’re using. You must declare technique use before rolling. You may only use any given technique once per roll. At the GM’s discretion, techniques beyond the ones presented here might exist.
- Enhanced Damage (1 stress): The enhanced attack inflicts 2 additional stress.
- Distant Strike (2 stress): Add 3 zones to the range of the enhanced attack.
- Improved Enhanced Damage (2, 3, or 4 stress): The enhanced attack inflicts 2, 3, or 4 additional stress.
REFRESH SPENT: 11
Mild (Any) 0
Moderate (Any) 0
Severe (Any) 0
Mild (Physical) 0
Born to mortals in Japan, his powerful potential was immediately noticed in his aura by the local supernatural community. He was scouted by the Easter Temple and trained, but, despite that training, he still never got good at disguising his power. Mortals just notice that there’s something oddly impressive or intimidating about him, and members of the supernatural community know he is a person of supernatural power on sight without any need for divination or physical contact
FINDING MY PATH
Osamu has lost his Tambo and its attendant authority. For the first time in his life, he is faced with deciding his own path, and has no specific duty or marching orders.
He’s a peaceful man who doesn’t believe in gratuitous violence. He also kicks ass. He’s also physically well-balanced. Possible compels: pursuing the nonviolent solution – the mere presence of evil shouldn’t be enough to spur him to action because it’s “part of the balance.”
THE TEMPLE’S BETAMAX
Having always had a fascination with American culture, he was sent to Seattle by the Eastern Temples for a consult on a shikigami problem our intrepid heroes had had. Together, we valiantly hunted down and stopped a warlock who was creating rifts to the Nevernever. Naughty warlocks!
THE LONG FIST OF THE LAW
As the hand-to-hand instructor for the local law enforcement, Osamu was pulled into a hilarious buddy cop story co-starring Roy when a (insert type of fae here) starting tearing it up in Bellevue Square. Many moments of tension and catchy one-liners later, the fae was subdued, Osamu was awestruck by the cool, in-charge, cop know-how Roy displayed, and Roy was impressed by Osamu’s spectacular feats of martial arts skill and cheerful disposition.